- Plastic bags will be banned in retail stores
- Restaurants can still use plastic bags for orders
- Styrofoam and plastic straw are allowed, but strawberries will be available upon request
- A violation of the ordinance will result in a warning, followed by 100 and 250 US fines for additional offenses
- Businesses are free to charge fees for one-off plastic
- Retailers will be encouraged to drop fees for people paying with public assistance
Mayor Tim Keller did not say whether he would sign this decree, but said he was encouraged.
"I think this is a situation where it's good. You want to be an early adapter, but not too early," said Keller. "You want to learn from several countries and how it affects businesses and so on, but also be sure and take action. So I feel that we are in the right places."
If it signs this decree, it will come into force on January 1, 2020.