An e-cigarette shop owner demonstrates how to use it.
John Gallup | Getty Images
Doctors at a Detroit hospital performed a double lung transplant on a man whose lungs were damaged by evaporation.
No further details of the transplant were released Monday by Henry Ford's health system, which scheduled a news conference Tuesday. The patient asked his medical team to share photos and updates to warn others of evaporation.
More than 2,000 Americans facing scratches have become ill since March, many of them teenagers and young adults, and at least 40 have died.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced last week a breakthrough in the cause of the evaporation disease, identifying the chemical as a "very strong culprit". Vitamin E acetate was previously found in liquid from electronic cigarettes and other vaporizers used by many who became ill and only recently was used as an evaporator.
Many who became ill said they had leaked THC-containing fluids, which cause a large amount of marijuana.