Monday , August 19 2019
Home / switzerland / A young woman sat in a wheelchair for months

A young woman sat in a wheelchair for months



The 24-year-old became paralyzed after frolicking a wandering cat

A young British woman raised a wandering cat on vacation in Portugal and ended up in a wheelchair. Obviously, the 24-year-old was infected by touching the animal with the Campylobacter bacterium, which means she could not walk for months.

A bacterial infection puts a young woman in a wheelchair

Especially in cats, many animal lovers can not help cherishing them. This was also the case with Gemma Birch from Southport in northwest England – but then something happened that made her touch only some of the animals. For the 24-year-old, when she was caught by a stray cat, she caught a bacterial infection that resulted in her landing in a wheelchair.

A young woman is infected while bothering her cat with Campylobacter bacteria. The infection was placed by a 24-year-old in a wheelchair. (Photo: Sakalova / fotolia.com)

Campylobacter bacteria found in the stool

According to a report in the British newspaper Mirror, 24-year-old Gemma Brecht earned an infection during a holiday in Portugal in 2014, causing her to be temporarily paralyzed by hips.

According to the blogger, she was in Albufeira, where she met with a wandering relationship with her.

However, the love of animals was her fatal: on the last day of her escape she repeatedly vomited and fainted on the return flight.

Back to the UK, she was taken to the Southport Hospital, where doctors finally found that her stool contained Campylobacter bacteria.

These bacteria are commonly found in chicken.

Symptoms of Campylobacter infection

Campylobacter infections can cause inflammatory bowel disease, which is accompanied by symptoms such as diarrhea, severe abdominal pain and fever.

Also nausea and vomiting, blood in the stool and additional complaints such as headache and body aches, fever or fatigue are possible.

In rare cases, a complication of campylobacteriosis is the Gillian-Barre syndrome, a disease of the nervous system. The 24-year-old English woman was one of those rare cases.

The disease attacks the nervous system

According to a report in the newspaper, Gema Burch was released from the hospital after a week. But her father quickly turned him back after a stiff leg in the night.

Doctors diagnosed the patient with Guillain-Barré syndrome Рa condition in which the body's own immune system attacks its own nervous system.

As a result, the blogger spent four months at the rehabilitation clinic and only after 14 months returned to his normal self-government.

"I had to rely on the nurses to go to the bathroom and wash. I lost control of the colon and bladder and I could not use my hands and arms because they were so weak," the young woman explains.

She assumed she had contracted the infection by a cat in Portugal, which may have taken bacteria while transporting it to garbage containers.

That this is obvious, among other things, an older study, published in the "Canadian Journal of Medical Association".

The researchers reported that four legs could transmit harmful pathogens to humans, for example, with bites and scratches, and even licking the animal over the face.

The patient became more cautious

The German Birch became more dangerous after a long temptation.

"As much as I love it, I could not touch the fattened cat now. I want pets and I will love them," said the 24-year-old.

However, she will also hope that "they have not spread in the hotel containers."

Their desire is for people to appreciate their health while they have it. (AD)


Source link