The 17-year-old driver who survived a terrible accident at the Grand Prix of Macau recovered on Tuesday (November 20th) after a "frightening" operation of the "spine", which lasted longer than expected and was fraught with the risk of paralysis.
German Sophia Flores, whose Formula 3 car was catapulted over safety barriers and hut during Sunday's race, needs bone graft from the hip to fix a fracture on the spinal column.
Doctors say the Van Amersfoort Racing driver spent seven hours in an operation Monday, much longer than expected four to five hours due to bone graft and the need to set neurological monitoring.
Clinical director Lei Wai-seng told reporters that Sofia could freely move limbs, but is expected to stay at the Konde S. hospital. Jawario in Macau one or two weeks.
He added that the Japanese runner Sho Tzubai, who was apparently protected from his security arc or halo when Sofia's car entered him, was fired along with a photographer.
Another photographer, who has suffered an impaired liver, and a marshall with a broken jaw, remain under surveillance, says Dr. Leigh.
After a collision near the end of the fast turn, the Sofia machine bounced back from the sidewalk, chopping TOM TOM's top TOM car and flew back into media houses and officials.
Team principle Frits van Amersfoort told Motorsport.com that after surgery he received a picture with a smiling Sophia.
"The operation was frightening, because it is known as a risky operation. It will have to stay there for a while, but we hope that we will soon see it, where it belongs: in a racing car," he said.
He also described his panic right after the accident on Sunday, when the team tried in vain to get information about the condition of the young driver.
"The worst was the 20 minutes in which we do not know anything, I will not forget my whole life," he said, adding, "There was an angel on the shoulder, because it could have been much worse."
Sofia on Tuesday assured fans that it was recovering well and promised to return to the sport.
"I'll be back," she said on Facebook. "I survived the operation … I hope that from now on it will only improve. I have to stay for several more days in Macau, while I am not transferable.
"I want to thank all my fans for every wish that I'm starting to read. This really motivates me and gives me courage."
Mr. Jean Todd, head of the governing body, the International Automobile Federation (FIA), has promised a full investigation into the incident.
Three people have been killed in recent years on the narrow and hideous street circles of the Chinese gym, which was marked by the excellent Formula One, including Michael Schumacher and Ayrton Senna.
British cyclist Daniel Hegarti died last year after hitting a barrier during a motorcycle race.
In 2012, Portuguese Luiz Carreira and Hong Kong Philippe Yau were killed within two days of each other during the Grand Prix of Macau.