Carlos Gosnn, jailed in Tokyo for alleged financial negligence, was the first to speak in the press, openly attacking the leaders of Nissan, accusing him of "plotting and betrayal."
This is the first interview he gave to the press in the jail in Tokyo, where he was detained since his arrest on November 19th. The interview was published yesterday on the website of the Japanese business daily Nikkei.
On January 11, the court authorized visits other than those of its lawyers and consular officers from France, Lebanon and Brazil, of which three states are nationals.
Carlos Gosn was busy: Nissan executives wanted to pay for Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi Motors' integration project, which was discussed with Nissan's Hiroto Saikawa in September 2018. The 64-year-old leader said he had no "suspicion" that the charges against him, which he dismissed again, are the result of "conspiracy and betrayal."
Nisan immediately reacted with reminder that Mr Saykawa had already categorically disputed the notion of a "coup." A survey conducted secretly by the group in the summer of 2018 "revealed significant and convincing evidence of embezzlement," the Japanese producer added in a statement sent to the AFP .
During this interview, the former auto-mug drove charges describing his 19-year rule as a "dictatorship". "People carried strong leadership from a dictator, distorted the reality to get rid of me," he said.
Carlos Gosn faces three charges of violating the confidence and loss of income of the stock exchange authorities in the period from 2010 to 2018.
In his sole appearance on January 8, he said he was wrongly accused. His lawyers filed several bail applications, without success, with justice putting the risk of concealing or destroying evidence and escape. "I will not run away; I will defend myself," he said yesterday. "All the evidence is in Nissan, and Nissan prohibits employees from talking to me."
Asked about his life in the detention center, the former CEO of the Renault-Nissan Alliance said it "goes well." According to his defense team, he could remain in prison until his trial, which will not happen for months. He faces 15 years in prison.
"I am not a lawyer"
Regarding confidence-breaching allegations, Carlos Gon claims that the payment of 15 million euros to the Saudi billionaire, Khaled Jufalli from the "reserve of the CEO" was approved "by the head of the region" and other directors. Also, buying luxurious dwellings in Rio de Janeiro and Beirut. It is confirmed by Nissan's legal department, the detainee said, explaining that "he needs a safe place to work and receive people in Brazil and Lebanon".
Nissan also blamed its former chief to receive a total compensation of 7.82 million euros from the Dutch subsidiary Nissan-Mitsubishi B.V. (NMBV). Here, he pleaded for a "disturbance of reality". "Did I do anything wrong? I am not a lawyer," he said. "Everyone knew why they did not tell me" is it illegal?
The French-Brazilian-Brazilian lost all his titles since his surprise that struck the alliance in turmoil. He was fired from chairmanship of Nissan and Mitsubishi Motors' boards at the end of November, and resigned last week from Renault.
In the news