The clinical trial reduced the sensitivity to peanut allergens with gradual protein exposure for six months. "It's not a medicine, but it's a good first step," said Dr. James R. Baker.
Carter Grodi spent his entire childhood without eating anything that would contain a trail of peanuts. For 15 years, never trying Kit Kat or Twix. Now, due to a clinical trial that has reduced sensitivity to peanut allergens with gradual protein exposure for six months, the young man was able to experience these chocolates without experiencing any allergic reaction.
The results, presented on Sunday at the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology in Seattle, may be the first oral drug to control allergic reactions to peanut in children.
The purpose of treatment is not, according to The Guardian, cure allergies or allow children to eat peanut butter. The goal is to reduce the risk of accidental exposure to peanuts that can cause a serious allergic reaction.
After six months of treatment and then six months of maintenance treatment, two-thirds of the 372 children who received treatment were able to consume 600 milligrams or more of peanut protein – equivalent to two peanuts – without causing an allergic reaction.
One in 50 American children is allergic to peanuts. Allergy to peanut causes more deaths due to anaphylaxis than any other allergy.
"It's not a medicine, but it's a good first step," said Dr. James R. Baker. "We did not have anything that would give these children that would stop them from an allergic reaction.