- Real Sociedad – Real Betis, Sunday at. 14
It can be said with certainty that Martin egdegaard has taken La Liga out of the storm. Before that, he was best known as a promising teenager of Real Madrid. He now dominates competitor Real Sociedad, and was named the league's best player of the month.
The thorough analysis site whoscored.com believes Ødegaard is the eighth best player in La Liga so far. A picture of a 20-year-old who has already established himself at the top is drawn, and local journalist Eneko Perez says it is difficult to argue against Norwegian being one of the best in the league so far.
– Clearly, I agree, at least now. Martin has a great register of skills and is very talented. It is impressive to see him adapt to La Liga. It's a pleasure to see him play football, Perez told Dagbladet. He works as a journalist for El Diario Vasco – the newspaper that closely follows Real Sociedad.
– Hard to stop
The impressive start also comes with a return, Peres said. Beck for Real Sociedad. Egdegaard is on loan from Real Madrid for 1 + 1 year, which is the norm for loan agreements in Spain.
Now the local journalist doubts that the Basque club will stay for more than one season.
– Honestly, I don't think Martin will stay here for two years, even though the clubs really do have a deal with each other. If he continues to play so well and La Real remain at the top of La Liga, I think Real Madrid will be interested in bringing him back. It's getting hard to stop that from happening.
La Real's progress is with the youngest in La Liga. No team has a lower average age than the Basque club, and some of the team's most prominent players are also among the youngest.
Only five players have been on the field in all eight games this season. It is clear that the oldest is Villean Jose, 27, while Michael Merino, 23, Michael Ojzabal, 22, Martin egdegaard, 20, and Alexander Isaac, 20, are all in their early 20s. Other prominent players are Adnan Januzaj (24), Igor Zebeldia (22), while veterans Miguel Moya (35) and Nacho Monarelli (33) significantly increase the average age.
The average age of those playing this season is 24.8 years. Perez says this is a deliberate strategy by the club.
– There are facts that Real Sociedad have focused on young players, especially in the last ten years. They have a long tradition of giving academy players a chance, such as Flvaro Odriozola (Real Madrid), Antoine Griezmann (Barcelona), Inigo Martinez (Athletic Bilbao) and 17-year-old Ander Barenteks, who still play at the club. Gadegaard is 20 years old, and this city and this club are perfect for him. It's great to see such a young and promising team, and the fans are very excited about what will happen this season.
Egdegaard's technical skills have been evident since he debuted in the Elite series as a 15-year-old. What surprised many, on the other hand, is the boy's enormous capacity. Statistics show that Ødegaard is almost always among those who run the longest during a match.
"I'm very surprised," Perez said.
– It's crazy to be able to work all over the field at the end of the game. He has shown me that he is very careful about what he puts and how he trains. Martin is no longer a skinny boy who came to Madrid in 2015. He is in very good shape.
Like Dagbladet Sports on Facebook