Friday , April 16 2021

Allegations of Wellington musicians: Twenty women file formal complaints of rape, sexual assault and assault



Police have revealed the amount of complaints they have received against a group of musicians from Wellington, just days after launching their fourth annual campaign to reduce sexual assault and alcohol-related harm.

Robert Kitchin / Works

Police have revealed the amount of complaints they have received against a group of musicians from Wellington, just days after launching their fourth annual campaign to reduce sexual assault and alcohol-related harm.

Twenty women have appeared before police with official complaints of rape, sexual assault and assault on a group of Wellington musicians.

Operation Emerald, an investigation involving 12 detectives, was launched last month after more than 60 allegations were made on social media about a group of Wellington musicians.

It prompted police to urge people to avoid posting allegations on social media and naming alleged offenders in case they complicate their investigations.

Since then, police have remained strict about the number of people who have lodged complaints.

Twenty complaints, all from women over the age of 16, claim the insult occurred over the past 18 months.

READ MORE:
* Up to 60 additional police officers to begin patrolling “high-risk” locations in Wellington
* Wellington home fired at Molotov cocktail and aimed at him over concerns about gang-related crime
* Two arrests follow Hatay’s domestic invasion, allegedly with knives and firearms

The busy Courtney spot will see more police officers patrolling during the summer.  (Photo file)

ROSA WOODY / Works

The busy Courtney spot will see more police officers patrolling during the summer. (Photo file)

No arrests have been made and the investigation is still progressing, said Sergeant Detective Steve Vescott.

Initial accusations on the Internet included male and female victims and some minors.

One applicant who reported a historic case of indecent assault stated that she felt “a huge weight” had been lifted from her shoulders.

On Friday, police launched their fourth annual Public Do Not Assume campaign, which promotes and raises awareness about alcohol consumption and sexual consent.

The acting director of prevention in the Wellington area, Detective Senior Sergeant Warwick McKee, said the campaign was “focused on bullies”.

“In principle, the messages are about our offenders and people who can intervene, identify and prevent insults. “We call on friends, family members, partners to assist in calling and to prevent insults where possible in the community, including our partners in the hospitality industry.”

An additional 60 police officers have committed to patrolling high-risk locations in Wellington this summer in a bid to curb crime and anti-social behavior.

ROSA WOODY / Works

An additional 60 police officers have committed to patrolling high-risk locations in Wellington this summer in a bid to curb crime and anti-social behavior.

It features a social media campaign that encourages party visitors to make better decisions about consent and training workshops for catering staff to recognize and take action when they see inappropriate or risky behavior.

The initiative, co-sponsored by New Zealand Hospitality, RespectEad Aotearoa, Wellington City Council and Victoria and Messi Universities, targets young people under the age of 30 who frequently attend CBD bars and clubs.

Last week, police launched Operation Mahi Ngatahi, deploying an additional 50 to 60 police officers to patrol “high-risk” locations in Wellington in a bid to reduce crime and disorder.

Up to 20 police officers could be on the central city streets every day from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. until the end of January.


Source link