A FURIOUS Thomas Cook customer has had £ 2,500 taken from his luxury US hotel account – despite getting home a month ago.
Ilyas Gungor, 48, from Hull, East Yorks, was left angry and confused after he checked his credit card balance yesterday and saw the four-figure sum had been removed.
It came on the same day the doomed travel firm went bust leaving a trail of creditors in its wake.
He claims he was told by staff at the Vista Cay By Millennium resort in Orlando, Florida, that the money had been taken away as Thomas Cook had not spent money on his stay.
The hotel later told The Sun Online it was a "pending charge" placed on Ilyas' account until they could "find out more" about the Thomas Cook situation.
The dad-of-three is now urging other Thomas Cook customers to check their accounts over fears hotels are cashing in after the collapse.
Railway worker Ilyas paid a total of £ 13,000 up front for his three-week family holiday with wife Deborah, 53, and their daughters, 24, 23 and 13, and arrived back in the UK on August 27.
He told Sun Online: "I've obviously been reading and watching everything on the news about everyone having major problems with Thomas Cook.
"But mine is a bit of a peculiar problem. Me and my family got back from our holiday to Florida about a month ago.
"Now we've just realized that they've charged £ 2,500 to my credit card because Thomas Cook hadn't paid them."
It comes on the day it emerges that any Thomas Cook arrears built with hotels this summer will not be covered by ATOL.
The fund will instead pay bills from the collapse point and hoteliers have to take their case up with liquidators.
We also revealed earlier that hotel staff threatened to call Spanish police if they did not pay their £ 1,100 bill today according to a Brit holidaymaker.
A raging Ilyas went on to claim his card provider Halifax said there is nothing they can do at the moment because the charge is a pending transaction.
He added: "The worst case scenario is it's gone and I have to go to Atol but I don't think it's even covered by them.
"How can you go on holiday, pay £ 13,000 for it all up front then get charged £ 2,500 after a month of being home.
"The hotel are not supposed to be doing that.
"They said they had not received the cash from Thomas Cook but at no point did they contact me or my phone to inform me.
"They just took it blooming. It's a completely unauthorized transaction in my view."
Staff at the Bahia De Lobos in Fuerteventura made a couple fork out or £ 1,100 billed by the travel operator or else the cops would get involved.
Other Thomas Cook holidaymakers stranded across Europe and North Africa have been ordered to shed hundreds of pounds or risk sleeping on the beach.
A British couple with a sick nine-month-old daughter were told they were being held "hostage" and told to pay £ 917 by "smirking" staff or else they would get the boot.
Stephen McGonnell and Stacey Robinson, whose daughter Olivia is ill with a chest infection, were handed handwritten invoices at the Troy Hotel in Tenerife.
Ilyas added: "I provided the card because that's what you would cover for any potential damages and now I'm in a dilemma.
"It must have happened to others and it will definitely happen again. People need to be warned.
"We thought it would be OK because the holiday was a month ago. It was a holiday package and we paid everything in advance; cars, theme parks, everything.
We were totally shocked. My wife went online and couldn't believe it. We didn't know what it was at first until we contacted the bank. I was obviously concerned and asked them what it was. The hotel is taking the money without permission.
"We were totally shocked. My wife went online and couldn't believe it. We didn't know what it was at first until we contacted the bank.
"I was obviously concerned and asked them what it was. The hotel was taking the money without permission."
Thomas Cook collapsed with £ 1.6billion debts, leaving 21,000 staff – including 9,000 based in the UK – out of work and 150,000 holidaymakers stranded abroad.
Honeymooners, soon-to-be couples and customers worrying about running out of medication are just some of the hundreds of thousands now stuck finding another way back to the UK.
Hotel staff in Spain have threatened to call police on a couple who have been told to pay an extra £ 1,100.
Stranded holidaymakers were forced to sleep on the floor at airports overnight as tearful Brits broke down in tears.
The hotel claims they have now been told ATOL will pick up the bill – and only then will they void the charge.
Erin Eddy, controller at Vista Cay by Millenium, said: "To be clear, this was a pending charge that was not settled until we could get more details about the Thomas Cook news.
Four Thomas Cook plans seized by Glasgow Airport as 'security' for its debts
These people are risking their lives and limbs for 'likes' on social media
OH MY COD
Fish & chips at risk as low levels of cod put stocks in danger of COLLAPSE
Miley Cyrus stalker arrested 'on mission to impregnate pop megastar'
Judges just blew their hallowed status and are fair game for public scrutiny
It's better, Greta, if the kids cut back … just like us oldies did!
Boris given 14 days to explain his relationship with model Jennifer Arcuri
Couple spent thousands on Thomas Cook holiday MINUTES before firm shut down
"As of Monday morning, any pending charges to guests were voided.
"Yesterday afternoon, we received information from ATOL Crisis Management, and for their instructions, we will be billing them directly for all Thomas Cook reservations.
"No Thomas Cook customers will be charged directly."
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.