Dolce & Gabbana canceled the Shanghai catwalk show after opposed racially offensive posts on its social media accounts.
Controversy emerged after the video was posted on the Italian fashion brand page on the Chinese media website. Weibo on Monday showed that the Chinese model is trying to use chopsticks to eat pizza, canola and spaghetti.
Weibo users have accused the label of trivializing the country's culture and displaying Chinese women in a racist way. The video was filmed within 24 hours, but has already been widely shared on social media where hashtag #BoycottDolce began to circulate.
The accusations of racism and racial stereotyping intensified after what appeared as Instagram's direct message in a conversation between Stefano Gabana and fashion writer Michael Fuong was shared by Diet Prada, an Instagram account known for open criticism of the fashion industry. In the conversation, Gabana appears to be defending the campaign, making offensive comments on Chinese and Chinese commentators, and complains about the video being downloaded.
Some of the biggest celebrities in China were announced to attend the event, but on Wednesday, one after another, announced their withdrawal.
"Our mother is more important than anything, we appreciate the energy and beauty of our cultural heritage," said Wang Yunkai, a very popular singer at TF Boys, when he announced his retreat. "I love my mother," actor Li Bingbing told 42 million fans of Weibo.
State media in China subsequently said the event was canceled, and reports circulated that the label was forced to withdraw the event by local authorities.
Even the Chinese Communist Youth League entered the battle, announcing Weibo that "foreign companies operating in China should respect China and respect the Chinese people."
Actor Talu Wang also wrote on Weibo's Twitter: "Respect is more important than anything."
Dolce & Gabbana is contacted for comment. The label claimed that her account and that of Gabana had been hacked and that her legal office was "an urgent investigation".
"We are very sorry for any anxiety caused by these unauthorized posts. We have nothing but respect for China and the people of China," Instagram said.
This is not the first time the brand has been drawn into public anxiety on this scale. In April 2017, she announced a campaign for Weibo, which describes Beijing as an undeveloped city. The post was deleted after the appeals.
In 2015, Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabana were under fire to refer to children born through IVF "synthetic", adding that they are opposed to homosexuality and that IVF's pregnancy is "a chemical origin and a rented uterus". Later he apologized.
In 2012, Dolce & Gabbana was charged with the assignment of racist images after sending models on a trail with earrings that resemble Blamoamor's artworks, which in the past were convicted of romanticizing slave trade.
The France-Press agency contributed to this report