Sunday , May 16 2021

A confirmed case of measles in a child traveling from Arica to Santiago on a bus



The health sector (s) of the metropolitan, Omar Caceres, confirmed a smallpox import case for a four-year-old boy who entered Chile on land from So.

According to the health authority, the person concerned is a Venezuelan national who left his country for Chile on 12 November, traveling with his mother across Colombia, Ecuador and Peru.

For our country, added Seremi de Salud, He arrived on November 19 last year where he took a bus to Arica to Santiago.

For this reason, the Metropolitan Health Service (s) urged all passengers of the Expreso Norte machine to contact the health authority.

"We call passengers who traveled on the same bus on Express Norte line 198, from Arica to Santiago, with departure time at 5:30 am, which contact the health authority via the listed phones ", which are +569 89001761 and +569 85271580, in order to exclude infectionssaid Caceres.

While the district epidemiologist Seremi de Salud, Sergio Alcayaga, said they would have to "locate all the people who were on the bus to determine if there are people who present the disease, and if not we will have to do some kind of blockade, which is through the use of vaccines in people who could to incubate the disease. "

According to the health authority, it is estimated that the disease will be infected between November 2 and November 15, when the child was abroad.

25 people who were in contact with the child have already been vaccinated, which he is hospitalized in good health and is immediately fired.

A call for tranquility

This is the second case of imported measles detected in the country, after which it affects a woman of Colombian nationality at the beginning of November.

The health authorities called for calm before the recent case, because, he noted, the population in Chile is generally vaccinated and protected from measles.

However, a specialist in infectious diseases at Clinic Las Condes, Rodrigo Blamey, he realized that "the problem is for those born between 1971 and 1981, since it is assumed that they received a dose is not enough, and therefore the recommendation of the Ministry is that if they travel abroad, these persons should be vaccinated before the trip, and of children who are born, that mothers complete their vaccination schemes, so as not to skip vaccines. "

"We must call for calm in the sense that it is very unlikely that we will have a national phenomenon, because most people need to be protected, "he said.


Source link