New design and charging technology, OLED screen, more powerful processor, improved camera and 5G – Apple is struggling to persuade consumers to buy the new iPhone. But is it worth replacing the older model with the iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro? Here is a practical test.
The iPhone 12 Pro on 5G connection reaches a speed of almost 1.4 gigabits per second, five times faster than the fastest VDSL connection.
First of all, Apple dares with a new design and bets on straight and flat edges. The era of rounded corners and sides used by the American company after launching the iPhone 6 is over.
Further, The screens of both the iPhone 12 and the Pro version are covered with ceramic nanoparticles (“Ceramic shield” or ceramic shield) which increase the resistance to scratches and falls. According to Apple, the iPhone with this protection is four times more resistant to falls.
The new design of the iPhone 12 features straight lines and flat edges.
Thinner and lighter
The technology giant managed to further reduce the size of the device. The new iPhone 12 is 11 percent thinner, 15 percent smaller and 16 percent lighter than its predecessor.
Seen from the front, it is almost impossible to distinguish between iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro. Both models have a 6.1-inch (15.5 cm) diagonal OLED display that displays extremely sharp content (2,532 by 1,170 pixels, 460 ppi), good brightness and high contrast.
The iPhone 11 had an LED screen. The quality provided by the OLED screen is undoubtedly superior: the black areas of the image look really black, and the rest of the colors are very natural.
The Magsafe Circular Wireless Charger is magnetically attached to the back of the iPhone 12 for optimal charging.
As for the main processor, Apple’s Bionic A14 not only surpasses its A13 predecessor, but also the one used by its competitors. This superchip ensures that even the most complex applications run smoothly.
In terms of photography, the iPhone 12 has a photo feature that Apple calls “Deep fusion.” Thus, from several images taken with different exposure, an optimal photograph is created. The night mode has also been improved.
Both iPhone 12 (right) and iPhone 12 Pro have OLED screens, with natural colors.
Camera: good brightness
It is clear that Apple has invested in the optics of the camera. The wide-angle lens now consists of seven lenses instead of six and offers a light aperture (f / 1.6 instead of f / 1.8), helping to shoot in dark environments.
The company also introduced automatic error correction for ultra-wide angle lenses. In practice, images offer less noise and more natural colors than photos taken with the iPhone 11.
The iPhone 12 is 11 percent weaker, 15 percent smaller and 16 percent lighter than its predecessor.
A new feature in the Pro version is the LiDAR scanner that optimizes focus and experience with augmented reality (AR) applications. Equipped with laser technology, invisible to the human eye, it measures the distance from the camera to objects.
LiDAR helps the camera focus faster. The iPhone 12 Pro also has a telephoto lens that captures the most distant objects in detail.
Both models enable 4K HDR video recording with Dolby Vision with 10-bit color depth, which until now was only possible with professional equipment.
IPhone 12 and Magsafe wireless charger.
The iPhone 12 and 12 Pro are the first Apple smartphones to be equipped with the Qualcomm chip and include 5G technology.
At the start of the test for connecting devices to the 5G network, both models offered download speeds of up to 500 megabits per second (Mbit / s) – about twice as fast as the fast fixed line with VDSL.
Depending on the location, the test reached 1,400 Mbit / s (equivalent to 1.4 gigabits per second). However, such a speed is possible only in places where the frequency of mobile technology is broadband, 3.5 GHz.
In the test, with a medium bandwidth (1.8 Ghz) the download speed was almost 700 Mbit / s.
- The iPhone 12 and its Pro version will not only boost the business of 5G providers, but also the sales of the accessory industry. The purchase of the device does not include a charger or headphones, only a USB-C cable for the Lightning charging socket.
- The company claims that it is about respecting the environment and not overloading the users with chargers and headphones that they already have at home. However, many consumers only own old chargers and USB-A cables.
- Among the many improvements offered by the two new iPhone models, the fast main processor and the improved camera stand out.
- It is also commendable that Apple has equipped the new devices with a better OLED screen.
- As for 5G capacity, it’s more of an insurance policy in the future: if networks are able to offer the coverage they need, having a 5G device will be a source of joy.
- However, iPhone 11 and even iPhone X owners can take the time to buy a new model. This will benefit the environment more than saving on a charger and headphones.