Thursday , October 24 2019
Home / canada / Quebec, confined to Cuba, says it has been sentenced to a second trial

Quebec, confined to Cuba, says it has been sentenced to a second trial



Canadian press

Published Wednesday, December 26, 2018 12:28 PM EST

Last Updated on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 13:41 EST

Montreal – A Quebec man who was stuck in Cuba after being involved in an accident that killed a tourist tourist in 2017 says he is facing another four years in prison after the second trial.

Tupik Benhamice said in a statement that he was convicted in connection with the incident after the trial on December 10th.

The man from Mascouche, Que., Was initially convicted of criminal negligence provoked death, but the verdict was overturned by Cuba's highest court earlier this year.

Benhamice, 48, drove a small boat as part of a tourist excursion in July 2017 in Cayo Coco when he gave up control and fired a woman from Ontario.

His lawyers argue that the rental company has violated Cuba's security standards and that Benhamice was given little guidance on how to manage the craft and was convinced that it was not dangerous.

His wife, Kahina Bensaadi, has repeatedly called on Canadian government officials to intervene and help bring her husband home.

Benhamice says he will appeal to the new conviction, which means he has to spend another year in Cuba.


Source link