The Duchess of Sussex revealed she had a miscarriage in July, giving a personal account of the traumatic experience in hopes of helping others.
Megan described the miscarriage in a post in the New York Times on Wednesday. She wrote: “I knew, while squeezing my first-born child, that I was losing my second.”
Megan and her husband Prince Harry have an 18-month-old son, Archie.
The Duchess, 39, said she shared her story to help break the silence over an overly common tragedy.
“Losing a child means carrying an almost unbearable grief, experienced by many, but few talked about it,” she wrote.
“When we are invited to share our pain, together we take the first steps towards healing.
“I tried to imagine how we would treat”
In a stunningly intimate account of her experience, the Duchess described how a tragedy occurred in “the morning that began as usual as any other day: Have breakfast. Feed the dogs. Take vitamins. Find the missing sock. Lift the lying crayon that rolled under the table. Throw your hair in the tail before you take my son out of the crib.
“After changing his diaper, I felt a sharp cramp. I fell to the floor with him in my arms, singing a lullaby to calm both of us, the cheerful melody is a stark contrast to my feeling that something is not right.”
Later, she said, she “lay in a hospital bed, holding my husband’s hand, feeling the numbness in his palm and kissing his wrists, wet from both of our tears. Staring at the cold white walls, my eyes glued. Imagine how will we treat “.
Megan, American actress and star of TV legal drama Suits, married Harry, granddaughter of Queen Elizabeth, in a lavish ceremony at Windsor Castle in May 2018. Their son was born the following year.
Earlier this year, the couple announced that they were relinquishing their royal duties and moving to North America, citing what they said were unbearable incursions and racist views in the British media. They recently bought a house in Santa Barbara, California.