Almost killed by a kiss: the baby struggled for her life due to herpes
In Britain, a one-year-old baby almost died because she was infected with herpesviral kiss. The child had to be hospitalized for four days. Parents now warn other people to kiss small children on their mouths.
The girl was everywhere a purple rash
A one-year-old girl from the northern English city of Darlington almost died because she was infected with herpes viruses. At first, parents did not realize what their child lacked. "Kaylah exclaimed so much, I knew it could only mean she was in pain," the mother told The Daily Mail. "We were at home and I had to put it in the bathtub when I suddenly saw traces on my legs." According to the information, the baby had purple axes in all places. "I was scared that my first thought was that she had a relationship with meningitis, because she had it earlier," says the mother. At the hospital, however, it turned out that the child was infected with herpesviruses.
Two out of three people are infected with herpesviruses
Health experts say two out of three people are infected with herpes viruses.
But most people who are infected with it never show symptoms and probably do not know they are infected. Therefore, cold wounds are often transmitted unnoticed.
Viruses are often active only with certain influences such as stress or strong sunlight and, among other things, cause herpes in the mouth.
Some people need special care. Adult cold wounds should be very careful when in contact with young children.
Because even a kiss from them can end up deadly to babies, as an older case from the United States showed.
Even the small Kaila from England was taken in a dangerous situation.
Infection could end up fatal
According to a Daily Mail report, doctors at the hospital found that the painful purple rashes in the small Kyle were caused by the herpes simplex virus.
"The doctors told us that someone with a cold sore must have kissed the lips, and since the baby's immune system is not strong enough, it has developed the rash," says the 22-year-old mother.
Her fiancé was shocked and "she could not believe it was all about kissing."
The girl had to stay in hospital for four days, where she was treated with antibiotics.
Doctors said the baby was lucky that the infection could end with a fatal attack.
"If we did not go to hospital quickly, it could have been very dangerous if we could lose it," said the young mother.
According to the parents, her daughter is not yet fully recovered. A month after discharge from the clinic, she still needs to take medication daily and be taken to the doctor once a week.
Warning for parents
Little Kayla's parents are now turning to the public to warn other people of the risk.
"I only want other parents to know that you do not have to be physically ill to harm the baby – it can only be a carrier of the virus and still affect that," said the mother.
According to a report in the newspaper, the virus can be transmitted to the mother in infants, either a kiss or in newborns, if she had genital herpes for the first time in the last six weeks of pregnancy.
The risk is significantly reduced if it is before pregnancy while passing on the antibodies needed to fight it.
It is not the first time that parents, many of whom have lost their babies, issued a warning that foreigners are not allowed to kiss babies.
"Please do not kiss the babies of other people," said Marian Nicholson of the Herpes Virus Association.
Treat the herpes as early as possible
If the infection is known, adults will be advised by healthcare professionals to treat cold wounds as early as possible. But what helps against herpes?
In a normal course, drugs are often used to inhibit the multiplication of the virus. Infection does not always have to be treated with antiviral drugs.
Sometimes, home remedies for herpes, such as manuka honey or tea tree oil. It can take up to two weeks from the epidemic of herpes to treatment. (AD)