Sunday , April 11 2021

Woman in Melbourne "betrayed from society"

The tears ran across the cheeks of strangers who sat together in silence to remember a woman allegedly killed by her schizophrenic boyfriend in the Chinese neighborhood of Melbourne.

About 100 people gathered on the steps of the Victorian parliamentary home Friday night to watch Natalina Angkor, 32, who was found dead two days earlier.

Her accused murderer Christopher Allen Bell faced a court charged with her murder.

"They were hanging out, in a relationship. It was her boyfriend," said for the sister of Ms. Angek Elena Time, revealing that the couple had been together for over a year.

Co-organizer of the vigil, Karen Pering, told AAP that the hour of silence was "haunting", with no word spoken, according to a protocol with all the vigils he held in honor of the deceased women.

"It's quite haunting to have so many people in the public surveillance silence together," Poingering said after the vigil. "She came to Australia from Sudan through a refugee camp in Kenya to a place where she probably thought she was safer. There is something that makes it just so much more tragic.

"As a society, we badly betrayed it."

Ms Anglock's family is in shock after her murder. "We are broken from the heart," her relatives said in a statement issued by the police. "Our family finds strength to come to terms with this tragedy and the loss of Natalina Angkokok."

Her sister Elena said that Ms. Angrock "does not deserve to die in such a way, be killed by anyone".

"She was a loving sister and she took care of people, not for the perpetrators. She loved everyone, even if someone did something bad for her, she would only talk and laugh with them."

Mrs. Angrock's body was found near Little Burke Street, immediately after 6:30 am on Wednesday, and Bell was arrested later on the same day. The court was told on Thursday that he was released from a mental hospital facility a week earlier and was seeking treatment for schizophrenia.

The police have yet to find out how Mrs. Angrock died.

Cousin Ash Atar described it as "fun, loving girl".

"She made us laugh at all times. I am shocked with disbelief," said Mrs. Atar Herald Sun.

"We are deeply sad and broken from the heart. No one deserves to die in this way."

Social media users this week expressed anger over the relative lack of media coverage of Mrs Angrock's death compared to other victims.

The city mourned as one when Eurydice Dickson was raped and killed in Carlton last June and when Aia Masarve was killed while going home from a night in Bundura in January.

While Ms. Anno's case is different, since she was allegedly murdered by a partner, she is still a victim of violence against women in Melbourne.

"I'm offended," Sharon Oraleleng wrote on Twitter. "Her name is Natalina Angelok and she is important. She's not the only number! Say her name!"

A Melbourne Melbourne lawyer, a Melbourne-born Sudanese judge, saddened that the 32-year-old, who was well-known in the South Sudanese community, did not speak just like the other women who were killed in the city. "Of course, her name is not probably so important to attract public protest and vigil," he wrote on Twitter.

The student after studying journalism at Monash University, James Hernnes, also asked why there were no plans for Mrs. Angrock. "Natalina was a Sudan migrant," he wrote. "She came to our nation Australia as a refugee to escape the dangers and poverty of Sudan for security that Australia was supposed to offer.

"His body spent hours in the city of Melbourne."

If you or someone you know need help, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or resent it to 1300 22 4636.

Source link