Martin More makes things passionate. It's hard to move from that adrenaline that runs through your bones. In every topic that is being addressed, there is a conviction about what goes there.
He did so when in 2006 he acquired Óptica Soler and began extending the brand Cordoba. Now he goes for e-commerce on glasses. It can be placed on the market, it is simpler and cheaper, but it hates it without turning. He wants his place under two rooms: to provide service and to guarantee accessibility.
"Óptica Soler was born in 1967, her founder was a pioneer in the subject of contagion. In partnership with Voss, he created a brand that people over 60 still remember: Learner Soller Inside the country gets an impressive presence on the product," .
– I remember perfectly.
– Then Julio Saler, the son of the creator, continued with optics and kept it in operation for years, with the ups and downs of this country. He decided to sell, we knew each other, because I already had another business of this type, so we reached an agreement, I bought the brand and the structure. Today, here is the grandson of the founder, Julito Soller, who is honored for me.
– Question zonza: How to sell glasses? Is it just like any other business?
-From the commercial point of view, yes, it's the same as any other activity. But this is the category where health is and what makes it different. There is a non-delinquent social responsibility. Optics requires study, training and professionalization, but there is also a commercial process similar to anyone else.
– Buckwheat is a kind of "commodity", and the frame is where the difference is made?
– No, ophthalmic lenses are divided into monophonic, bifocal and progressive. The first, the telescope to see close or far, are goods. There are frameworks that are also in that category. This commodity is the one that fights the cheap telescope that sells it on the street. But the industry has progressed a lot in the production of lenses, especially progressive and multifocal. There are laboratories that invest heavily in Argentina to make incredible products.
– Where is the business, in scope or complexity?
– The optical itself is of considerable profitability. From the lens to the frame. Every optics applies its pricing policy with this. Our criterion is to develop a business vision marked with scope, with the attention that the telescope must be available for those who need their health and that social work is done free of charge.
– I was addicted to the issue of profitability …
– The profitability of which I speak makes Cordoba a place with a lot of optical competition, but with limited individual growth. That happened with Soller. When I picked it up, I imposed radical changes from commercial policy to image; everything We managed to develop, from one mouth to four locations. From two employees to 25, with a network of opticians in the interior through special contracts.
– Is that your hand for a young and restless businessman?
-And now the new mouth, which is a digital channel: tiendasoler.com. First we sold sunglasses and frames. Two months ago, we incorporated the sales of recipes glasses, for which we had to apply a series of special tools. It was a huge challenge.
– I suppose, we're talking about a recipe. How do they not let him go?
– Of course. To make a recipe glasses you will need to take the interpupillary distance to center the lenses and it was an object. With two programmers and engineer we developed the system. The person enters, first selects the frame, then we attach the ophthalmologist's prescription, then attach ourselves with a card, the size of a credit card or climbing the forehead. This, through special software, enables us to get the interval distance. It's a wonderful process.
-Do you know someone else who applies it?
– In Argentina, no. But in Europe and the United States exists. Then, we make the telescope and send it to you with a parcel service. I'm a coil. All orders entering before 14 leave at your destination the same day. The public loves him. We have areas of the country, for example, Patagonia, where they are often questioned because they are regions with little optics or distance to get some are long.
– How much is online sales?
-In 50 percent of the collection of one of our stores. It's very good for us. Especially if we take into account that the brand Soller in Cordoba is well known, but in San Juan no. We make an important brand thing. What we're doing is uncomfortable. People are not accustomed to buying glasses online, so we have to provide them with a service.
– Myths and truths about the online store: easy and cheap.
For nothing. Neither easy nor cheap. It's easy and inexpensive to take a picture with a cell phone on a telescope and lift it to the market. But when you build a platform from scratch, like ours, it's expensive, it takes time, requires a lot of processes and people. Developers, designers, photographer. All this generates costs, time and delays. It's the same as creating a physical business, hard work.
– In the business of glasses there are big wholesale channels where everything is going on?
– I can tell you that there are no monopolies in the industry. There are many players and offers available from national and international laboratories. With suppliers, I have always agreed that we must go hand in hand to expand the market.
– Sunglasses are pure fashion?
– Thank God this is fashion. The telescope changed its presence in society. Before that, anyone who needed them even got harassment for it.
– "Anteoito, four eyes …"
Today, celebrities display their glasses and it changes social criteria. We are not even close to what is happening on the European market, where the telescope is part of the fashion world. They change glasses every season. I have a brother in Sweden, I easily use seven pairs a year. But this is part of the criteria that apply to eye care.
– Damn question: Do glasses that sell them on the street so bad?
– I should say yes, but there is everything. The question is that people feel that they are solving a problem. Some even have an UV filter. We would be fools if we did not see that we should add them to the offer of the case. We would be aware of the reality of the people. I return to the same thing: for this reason, the telescope must be available.
– Did sales decrease with the crisis?
-Yes, against inflation fell. We stayed. Dollar growth hit prices, because imports are imported, in addition to finished products that come directly from outside.
– Think about franchises?
– I thought, but I will not do it. Today all guns are on a digital terrain, the world is moving towards it.
– The range between social affairs and between prepaid are very different?
– Yes, everyone applies his policy. Covering me is still very low and limited. They accomplish many basic things. Some even do not cover anything. Dapu, for example, has a huge coverage. In Pam, we presented a project based on the current retiree, not the one that existed 50 years ago.
– How will that be?
– The image of the retired couple with the woman knitting and the man who plays glasses no longer exists. Current accountability is very active. He even continues to work. They need another kind of cover for their glasses. Here we cover one hundred percent multifocal. They can not believe it.
Heaven: In the glasses
Name. Martin Sea.
Children. Tomas and Matthias.
Business. Optics optics.
Physical mouths for sale. Four
Digital sales. tiendasoler.com
Market. About 2,700 glasses per month.
Data. Annabelle Ronconi is a key person in the company.
Fan of. Belgrano.
Telephone. (0351) 425-6021.
E-mail [email protected]
The original text of this article was published on 11/25/2018 in our printed edition.