Twenty footballs and many T-shirts arrived at noon on Saturday G20 he will surrender to FIFA. If the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has the status of a permanent observer of the United Nations General Assembly, now the governing body in football counts, and thanks to the initiative of President Mauricio Macri, entering the G20 annual meetings.
"I found the leaders of the G20 incredible, when you give them a ball, they are like us, they are all children," he said. Gianni Infantino during his interview with Infobae this Saturday, before going to Montevideo. Swiss-Italian, hostile, identified a ball and shirt named by each of the Heads of State or Government gathered in Buenos Aires. So he seduced everyone and paved the way for a powerful speech that told them that the economic movement created by football, about $ 330,000 million a year, makes the world's most popular sport something that is medium in size with aspirations to be a member of the G -20.
– He surprised the power of his speech before the presidents of the G20.
– The truth is that the enthusiasm of the leaders was a surprise to me, and I think it is also for them to listen to me. When you are the leader of an important country, you have many problems. They love football, they know they exist, many of them are fans, but they do not have to know what's generating. For FIFA, it is historically possible to be with the top 20 leaders of the world and explain what is football and what it generates.
– How is the invitation of Maurizio Macrie?
– We had a conversation in Davos in January this year and for the first time we talked about this opportunity for FIFA to participate in the G20, something that has never happened before. In the end we saw that everyone is interested, excited. It's amazing, when you give them a ball in your hands, the leaders are like us, they are all children.
– FIFA in the G20, the IOC with the UN …
– No, there is no competition in this sense, it's just a sport and there's only one truly global sport, which is football. And according to what happened in FIFA, it is very important for us that states want to have a direct relationship with us. That means things have already changed, we managed to change the perception of FIFA. Being a member of the G20 is more a joke, but we know that the development of football also has a positive effect on the G20 countries.
– His clarity is surprised when we talk about Qatar. Back to 2022 at the World Cup of 48 participants and in several countries. Do you bear in mind these countries?
– And can you tell me?
– Will you add another country, two more, three more …?
– Those who want it! One, three. It would be nice. Let's see, it's a little complicated, but in football nothing is impossible. If we already make the decision from 48 to 2026, if it's good, why are you waiting? We understand, of course, the situation in the region. If it is not possible we will organize a 32 World Championship, which will be fantastic. And if possible, we will be able to advance the decision that the world wants. And we would have succeeded in bringing the countries closer together so that they could speak a little bit more to each other.
Infantino, who three years ago began the relationship with Argentina and Macri in an atmosphere of some tension and distrust, today has a very well-rounded trip with the president and head of the World Cup 2030 bid, Fernando Marin, leaving for Uruguay in a private plane from San Fernando airport after visiting Argentina. The other Argentine with whom he has a great familiarity is Diego Maradona: "I do not see him from the World Cup, but he works very well in Mexican football."
Gianni Infantino, president of FIFA: "I notice aggression in Argentina that I do not understand and it makes me wrong"