Tuesday , September 21 2021

The CSA “deeply regrets” that Covid-19 is jeopardizing its tour of England



  • Cricket South Africa and the Cricket Board of England and Wales have agreed to cancel the opening of the ODI between the parties in Boland Park on Sunday.
  • CSA director Cricket Graham Smith said they “deeply regret this situation”.
  • Three Proteas players tested positive, and two unconfirmed positive tests from the tour of England called into question the remaining games.

The opening of the ODI between Proteas and England has been halted in Paarl as the coronavirus continues to harass tourists visiting the country, originally planned to include three T20Is and three ODIs.

After the teams entered a specially created bio-bubble on November 18, Covid-19 continued to treat the tour.

Following a stormy This year, Cricket South Africa (CSA) was once again in the spotlight, this time for the safety and well-being of its players, the English team and their support staff.

After the cancellation of the first ODI at Boland Park, director of Cricket Graham Smith said the CSA “deeply regrets” the difficult circumstances that affected the tour.

“CSA is doing everything in its power to ensure that our top priority, which is the health, safety and well-being of the players, support staff and everyone involved in this series, is protected. “With that in mind, we made a joint decision to cancel today’s match,” said the former Proteas captain.

“We deeply regret this situation given the time and energy provided to organize a successful tour. We will continue to give the necessary support to the England team.

“We are in ongoing talks with the ECB as we deal with the situation under the leadership of our combined medical teams.

So far, three Proteas players have tested positive for coronavirus with the latest incident with the home team that happened before the postponed ODI on Friday.

On Sunday, an hour before the rescheduled match in Paarl, CSA confirmed that two staff members at the Vineyard Hotel – the base for both England and Proteas – had tested positive for Covid-19.

As a precaution, the players and management of England underwent an additional round of PCR tests on Saturday night.

It was later confirmed that two members of the party had returned to England with unconfirmed positive tests for Covid-19.

The decision on the remaining two ODIs (Monday and Wednesday in Newlands) will be made after the results of England’s tests have been “ratified independently by medical experts”.

England have dealt with bio-bubbles before, as they recently completed a successful summer of cricket against West India, Ireland, Pakistan and Australia.

This was Proteas’ first experience hosting and participating as a team in a bio-safe environment.

Proteis ODI detachment:

Quinton de Cock (captain, Titans), Temba Bavuma (Lions), junior Dala (Titans), Beuran Hendrix (Lions), Heinrich Klassen (Titans), Lindorg Lind (Cape Cobras), Keshaw Maharaj (Dolphins), ne (Cobra), David Miller (Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Titans), Enrich Nortier (Warriors), Andile Fehlukwejo (Dolphins), Tabriz Shamsi (Titans), Luto Sipamla (Lions), Jonon-Jonon Smutz (Warriors), (Warriors), Rassi van der Dussen (Lions), Kyle Verein (Cape Cobras)

England GO composition:

Eoin Morgan (Middlesex, Captain), Moin Ali (Worcestershire), Nyons Byrstow (Yorkshire), Sam Billings (Kent), Os Butler (Lancashire), Tom Kuran (Surrey), Louis Gregory (Somerset), Liam Lee Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Ro Ruth (Yorkshire), Asoneson Roy (Surrey), Ollie Stone (Warwickshire), Reese Topili (Surrey), Chris Voeks (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham)

Modified Proteas tour dates:

Monday, December 7 – 2nd ODI, Newlands, Cape Town (Day-Night Match)

Wednesday, December 9, 2020 – 3rd ODI, landslands, Cape Town (day and night match).


Source link