Durban – A few days before former President Jacob Zuma returned to the Petersburg High Court to face corruption charges, he launched a new offensive against the country’s judicial system and some judges.
In the last installment of his attack, although without producing evidence, Zuma said some judges were inclined to wage political battles instead of administering justice fairly.
The bomber struck shortly after noon in front of a police recruiting center at Kisak, killing at least 40 people.
To restore his view that some judges are corrupt and do not deserve to sit on the bench, Zuma revived the issue of CR17 bank statements that were controversially sealed through a court order. The order was issued by the Vice President of the High Court in Pretoria, Aubrey Ledwaba in August 2019 at the request of President Cyril Ramafosa through his lawyers.
Zuma argues that this is sufficient evidence that some judges were not qualified to be on the bench, as they may have been allegedly bribed, and that they falsified their statements because they covered their potentially exposed backs.
“What kind of justice do we serve and what kind of law will be respected when I am gone for a long time. I know that instead of facing these questions that I ask, many will resort to sarcasm and seek answers that accuse me. In any case, that is what led us to this point. Failure to see our law over an individual, we want to punish.
“We are sitting with some judges who helped the incumbent president (Ramafosa) hide from society, which seems to have been a bribe to win the ANC by-elections. “We are sitting with some of the judges who sealed those records, simply because such records may reveal that some of them, while presiding over our courts, had their hands filled with 30 responsible silver coins,” Zuma said in a statement.
Ramafoza’s spokesman, Tyrone Seale, sent all questions to the ANC. ANC national spokesman Pule Mabe did not respond when asked.
Earlier, Zuma cited the case of North Gauteng High Court President Danstan Mlambo, whom he accused of violating the principle of separation of powers between the executive and the judiciary. He did not end there and argued that Mlambo could simply punish him on the same principle as flip-flop.
The rockets aimed at the judiciary did not end with Zuma, as EFF leader Julius Malema, protected by parliamentary privileges, commented on his response to Ramafosa’s state address on Tuesday.
Citing the same CR17 case and allegations before the Zondo Commission that some judges were bribed to overturn their verdicts, Malema said the evidence was sufficient.
“Mr. President, we can not continue to bury our heads in the sand over the growing and now credible claim that some prominent members of the judiciary are on the payroll of the white capitalist establishment. We can not ignore the allegations that some of the judges received bribes through the Project “Justice Strategy” (State Security Agency) “Justice”, as well as donations of CR17, which by all standards and measures was a huge corruption, money laundering and racketeering . The judiciary must know that they are not above the Constitution. “They are judges, not gods,” Malema said.
The existence of Project Justice was revealed to the commission by the Acting Director General of the SAA, Loiso Jafta, and the former Minister of State Security, Dr. Sydney Mufamadi.
Ftafta told the commission that at least one judge was on the radar for accepting bribes from the agency.
“We have very strong evidence that some of the money went into the hands of members or a member of the judiciary,” Jafta told the commission.
Earlier in the week, Mufamadi told the same commission that Project Justice included recruiting and handling judicial resources.
“The allegations were made as a result of judges being bribed to achieve this goal. “This, however, should be treated with extreme caution because one would not want to be a party to the destruction of public confidence in the judiciary if there is no real evidence that the operation was carried out to a conclusion,” Mufamadi said.
A spokeswoman for the Chief Justice’s Cabinet, Nati Mnkube, did not respond after being asked to do so. This was after he confirmed that he had received the questions from the Independent Media.[email protected]